Red Chilli: 4 nos
Pepper Corn: 1 tsp
Urad Dal: 1 tbs
Channa Dal: 1 tbs
Jeera: 3/4 tsp
Hing: 2 pinch
In a pan add all of the above and fry them in medium heat until the urad and channa dal are light brown. Leave it to cool and grind it to a fine powder. I usually like to grind a reasonable quantity of the powder so I can even store it for later use.
Rice: 1 cup
Brinjal: 4 (baby egg plants or brinjal).
Onion: 2 (egg sized)
Urad Dal: 2 tsp
Channa Dal: 1 tsp
Curry Leaves: 4 nos
Oil: 2 tbs
Salt to taste
1. Cook 1 cup of basmati rice in a rice cooker. I like to use rice cooker since it gives the rice a light and nice texture.
2. Take a pan and add the oil and turn the heat to medium.
3. Add urad and channal dal and let it turn light brown.
4. Add Curry leaves(tearing it into pieces definitely adds more flavor to the food ;) ).
5. Saute the onions till it turns into a light golden color.
6. Add the brinjal & salt, cover the pan and let it cook for about 7 min in medium heat (turn it over every once in a while).
7. Add the 1 tbs of the prepared masala and let the brinjal cook for another couple of minutes.
8. Add the rice and blend it with the brinjal. Garnish with some coriander leaves and serve.