Here is a lip smacking snack loved by everybody. Its crunchy outside and the smooth masala veggies inside, a perfect and complete fulfilling snack. In my childhood, we used to go to the nearby "Varghese Bakery' to have one of these and this treat was reserved for special occasions. Hot puffs removed from the baker's small oven smeared with some tomato sauce used to heavenly.Last week, when my daughter called me to tell that she just finished making puffs at home, my initial reaction was 'Ahhhhhhhh". I always thought it to be laborious and once she explained to me, I totally agreed with her and it was easy breezy to prepare veggie puff.
You can subsitute your own choice of filling, enjoy the treat :):)
Vegetable Puff recipe:
Puff pastry sheets: 12 nos (small squares)
Mixed vegetables (finely chopped): Potato, carrots, beans, peas, lima beans, bell peppers
Onion: 1 large
Green chillies: 2nos (depending on the spice)
Cumin seeds: 1tsp
Red chilli powder: 1 tsp
Turmeric: 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves: a sprig
Oil: 2 tsp
Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees along with a pizza stone.
- Pour some oil into a pan, add the cumin seeds and let it splutter
- Add the curry leaves and onion to this. Fry the onion until it is translucent (cooked).
- Add the red chillies and turmeric.
- Add the mixed vegetables and salt. Cover this and cook the vegetables for a few minutes until it has a slight crunch to it. Note that, when you bake the puff, the vegetables will cook some more. Do not overcook the vegetables. Let it sit for sometime to cool. Add the chopped cilantro.
- I thawed the puff pastry sheet for 1 hr. Apply some all purpose flour and roll out thesheetsthe sheets. Use some all purpose flour if the puff pastry is very sticky. This will also ensure your puff pastry does not stick to the pizza stone. (My first one got stuck to the pizza stone- lesson learnt :-))
- Place vegetables on one half of the puff pastry sheet.
- Roll over the other half.
- Make sure to leave ½ cm on the sides. Use a fork and seal the edges.
10. A lot of people brush the puff pastry with egg to get a golden brown gloss. I do not like the flavor of egg on my puff pastry sheets and hence I used some milk (to be very honest it added only a slightly more crunch to my already crunchy puff pastry :-))
11. Place the puff pastry on the pre-heated pizza stone and into the oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
12. My first puff was slightly brown as I had exceeded the time and was worried I would burn it. But, let the puff pastry bake in oven until you see a golden brown cover. This will ensure the puff pastry is cooked through and stay crunchy for a longer time.
13. Enjoy with some Maggie ketchup (I used hot and sweet- yum!)
'Life is too short and I'm Italian. I'd much rather eat pasta and drink wine than be a size 'O' -Sophia Bush