Thursday, August 4, 2011

International passengers carry interesting baggages, I do, do you?????

Hey friends, there was an interesting write-up in Times Of India where they found out that Indian passengers carry very interesting baggages from their homeland, some even mangoes and noodles too.

Middle east is the place where we get all the Indian products at Indian stores.  But, again if one is on the look out for a particular brand, then I am not sure if it is available.  I have known people carrying fresh jasmine flowers too as the travel time is only three hours from India.  On the personal front,  I find the spices are much more aromatic in India and feel that if I prepare Sambar powder with Indian stuff, the flavour is so authentic.  This stands first in my list of packages from Chennai.  Mustard seeds of that minute size is not available here,so I carry enough to last a few months.  Of course, goodies from Grand sweets or Adyar Ananda Bhavan is a must and my friends wait for those too.  Being a grandmom,  my mind is always on the look out for something unique that I can carry to US for my daughters and grand children especially the typical cotton clothes.

Back to my problem of what to carry and what not, as I visit US quite often, but annoyed by the recent restriction of the baggage weight. These airlines have become smart over the period. Earlier days, we were permitted to carry 2 baggages of 35 kgs each, and now only one baggage of 23 kg. Imagine 68% reduction in carrying capacity. This is very hard on us who wish to carry the entire world to our children and grand children. This family unfriendly decision by the Airlines industries is a great hurdle in promoting family values !!!. Here goes the list from Abu Dhabi to US. My relatives, friends and neighbours love to have the choco dates. It is a unique combination of dates stuffed with roasted almonds and dipped in milk chocolates packed attractively and provides the royal touch. Fresh motichooooor laddoo, how can I forget, at least a couple of kg from Chappanbogh is a must item. I prefer to carry plenty of Saggeei dates, nuts and Arabic sweets to give them the Middle east touch. So, having stuffed my suitcase with Chennai and Abu Dhabi purchases (remember 23 kgs), where is the scope for my personal items. Most of them goes into hand baggage and my husband will carry out inventory balancing and adjust the weights as if he would be in a position to hoodwink the checkin counter staff.

In reality,  to walk through with  hand bag  3 to 4 kgs above the limit,  brings out my hidden natural artist in me  every  time I check in at the airport.

At the airport, the check in bag cleared with 26 kgs  mmmmmm  great relief.  ‘Ma’m how about your hand baggage?’  My highly expressive enactment satisfied the counter staff  that it is not much beyond the permissible limit and here I gooooooooo.   What an effort to avoid few kgs of excess baggage. In spite of all this, I end up paying excess baggage most of the time, as I cannot forego some of the above items en route.

In my opinion, the body weight and the luggage weight  of the person should be a combined limit, so that sleek person like me can gain advantage !!!!!!!!!!

14 comments:

  1. I can understand carrying spices, sweets etc. But I can't understand why people carry Nido milk powder or rice. Great post as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. I liked the way it is written. Things which I packd for my abroad trip came to my mind when I read this.

    Also Thanks for visiting my space. Eapecting your suggestions and opinions for my recipes that inturn help me somehow to gain more knowledge.

    Cheers,
    Uma

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice read here....i think we should reinstate the family values & emotion factor to the airlines industry :-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember reading the article in TOI. Loved reading yours and esp the closing line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I read that too in the paper..You have written this post so beautifully. I too carry all sorts of spices and dals and sometimes Indian sweets as I don't get them in China. Then there are some things to carry for my hubby colleagues sent by their family . I weigh the baggage a zillion times at home to get it right yet sometimes I have to face the excess baggage situation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very funny post! I think it is definitely worth the inconvenience to take all those yummy things home:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wonderful write up...its quite lot of times we face this..:)
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved reading your post.Can totally relate with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely write up...I def am a huge fan of spices and spice powders we get in India they are so aromatic so I tend to carry lot of things:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful post. Very well written. As Australia is very strict so I never bring any food products while coming from India and I feel its not required as everything is available.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm, that's a thought provoking subject. I usually carry a lot of homemade goodies, traditional cooking vessels, sweets... Whatever the limited baggage allowance allows :)) And in my opinion it doesn't allow much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice post and what u said is so true.My mom when she visited dubai she brought tur dal as she didnt like the taste of dal in dubai before.She brought mangoes and top ramen noodles(which are not available in dubai (maybe TOI was mentioning her)

    ReplyDelete
  13. so true and so unique our bags are...jai mata di tags to recognise our bags alongwith fancy ribbons...to rags as chindi's....Last time we visited India, I took empty bags only to be filled in with things from back home,, banana chips, kaju katli's and must have some Maharashtrian flours like bhajani for chakli and thalipeeth and chivda, made by mom
    you have a fun blog..am a happy follower...
    Love Ash.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the site. Hope you enjoyed the blogs. Your comments are most welcome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails